imapc master login for shared mailboxes

Mark Zealey mark at markandruth.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 17:14:38 EET 2020

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up shared mailboxes such that any access to the shared
namespace like INBOX/shared/<sub-email-address> will take <current-user>
and use imapc to log in with <sub-email-address>*<current-user> (ie the
current user is the master account for imapc). I've set up like
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/ClusterSetup on centos8 latest
dovecot build (a late 2.2 series version I believe.

However I'm running in to a couple of issues:

1) setting imapc_master_user = %u has %u as <sub-email-address> rather
than <current-user>. I can't find any sort of variable substitution that
will allow me to access the details of <current-user>. From looking at
the logs it seems to do a userdb lookup for<sub-email-address> to check
it exists but then the substitutions appear to be using these rather
than the current user's details

2) In a similar vein, I believe imapc_password = %w (ie trying to just
get current user logging in with the password that was specified when
they initially logged in, but as a master user) is also not substituting
correctly and is just a blank string

Is there any way around this so I don't have to worry about trying to do
sharing based on the filesystem and the same process but rather just
allow the main user to log in to any other account (in this case domain
owner logging in to any accounts under their domain) ?

Thanks

Mark