fail2ban setup centos 7 not picking auth fail?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat May 23 00:26:24 EEST 2020

On Fri, 22 May 2020, Jerry wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 2020 23:22:04 -0700, lists stated:
>> I use SSHGuard on well ssh (doh!), but supposedly you can use it for
>> postfix and dovecot also. I can tell you it is well supported.  I am
>> on Centos 7 using firewalld.
>
> SSHGuard works fairly well with Postfix; however, it is virtually
> useless with Dovecot. It never picks up on "auth fail" and a few
> others. I have submitted documentation and requests to SSHGuard, but
> they have never acted upon them, other than to say that they will look
> into it.

That's the beauty of open source -- if you got time and skillz, you
can roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.  I peeked at the source,
and it requires some Lex/Yacc coding.  Even if you don't have those
codng skills, you can probably make a good guess by looking at the
.l/.y files.

The authors can make it a lot easier to extend if they externalize the
patterns into runtime configuration like fail2ban does, rather than
baking them into executables.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>