Current thinking on backups ?

Germain Le Chapelain germain.lechapelain at lanvaux.fr
Tue May 26 07:31:49 EEST 2020

> Le 24 mai 2020 à 14:42, Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at protonmail.ch> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> What are people doing for backups ?
> My current process is LVM snapshot and backup from that to NFS share.
> But there seems to be hints around the internet that people use/abuse "doveadm backup" for backup purposes even though it seems its original intention was for transferring mailboxes between dovecot instances.
> Assuming its ok to "doveadm backup" to an NFS share, is it ok to use "doveadm backup" when dovecot has replication setup (replication-notify etc.)  ? Or will it interfere ?
> Thanks!
> Laura

This has came up in the past:

https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2020-February/thread.html#118206

I ended up developing my own system based on forwarding all emails to a program (from which I back-up as they come in.)

I am hoping if disaster and/or misfortune were to strike my server, I could simply cat >> back all those files in order (or not come to think of it) in the /var/mail/<username> (or somewhere even better fit in Postfix.)

I am not interested in saving the state of the mailbox as much as all the mails that ever come in (or go out.)

Kindest regards,

Germain