Simple backup of maildir folder

Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay francis at med-lo.eu
Fri May 29 18:37:44 EEST 2020

Hi,

I want to do a simple backup of my maildir. I read here that maildirlock
is not to count on in the future and the recommended option was to use
doveadm backup. However, it seems that this requires to setup another
dovecot server.

My questions are:

- How much to I need to configure this new server? Do I need to setup
user by user, or even install postfix (that's where my users are
configured) to get it all backed up? I tried to install dovecot and
running doveadm backup, but it complains the users are not there.
- What's the simplest way to configure dovecot without mirrowing my
server so that this can work?

Best,

Francis

---