migrating dovecot to new server

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Fri May 29 20:12:42 EEST 2020

* David Mehler:

> I'd ideally like to back up all the mails in the maildir location,
> copy that over, load in my configuration files, and bring the system
> back up.

I don't think this qualifies as "ideal" for migration. My recommendation
is to set up the new server and configure Dovecot replication (see Wiki).

If you configured things correctly, migration will happen without
further intervention, and if there is a problem, you can resolve it in
your own time, without damaging the existing server and data.

-Ralph