Recommended Protocols?

Raymond Herrera raymond at forcewise.com
Tue Nov 10 17:07:37 EET 2020

After some experimenting with:

(a) The Thunderbird client

(b) The Linux command as client:

% openssl s_client -connect dovecot-server:imaps

I have arrived to a preliminary conclusion. The error that I am getting
is this:

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: TLS: SSL_read() failed: SSL
routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42

It seems that the server certificate from the box is fine. I am guessing
that the problem is that Dovecot asks for an SSL certificate that the
Thunderbird client is not prepared to produce. I don't believe
Thunderbird provides such capability (??).

If that is the case, how do I configure Dovecot to not ask for a client
certificate?

Thanks,

Raymond

ps: If I am correct, the error message would be more informative as
follows: "ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad _*client*_ certificate".