A probably dumb question, but I'm stumped

Christy S christys1075 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:31:22 EET 2020

Hi folks,

I'm stumped on an error we're getting in dovecot after upgrading ubuntu.
I will say up front that I'm far from a linux expert. I'm helping my
husband by managing a virtual private server to handle his domain,
including its email. We set this up two years ago and once I finally got
the mail working, it's been humming along just fine since, until two
days ago when I performed the ubuntu upgrade. Now, when we try to send
mail through his domain thunderbird gives this error:

Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder
(Sent) due to network or file access errors.

Note that it says this, but the mail isn't actually sent at all. We are
using SSL and have been since the beginning which might be part of our
problem, but I'm not positive.

A google search suggested adding two lines to the 10-ssl.conf file.

ssl_dh = </usr/share/dovecot/dh.pem
ssl_cipher_list = HIGH:!DH:!aNULL

I did both of these things and restarted the server completely, but no
luck. looking in /var/log/mail.err I see this.

Nov 29 14:08:56 kylesmith-music dovecot: imap-login: Error: Failed to
initialize SSL server context: Can't load SSL cert
ificate: error:140AB18F:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate:ee key too
small: user=<>, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
session=<t4qrdkS1kPNLFhL4>
What's interesting is that last line only showed up after I added the
two lines to the config file.

My guess is I need to do something with SSL, update it maybe? But I
don't want to go fiddling around purely on a guess and potentially break
things even more. So, any of you much more linux familiar types want to
point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Christy