Changing IMAP separator - does it break things?

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Wed Oct 14 16:19:21 EEST 2020

@lbutlr wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2020, at 20:36, Victor Sudakov <vas at sibptus.ru> wrote:
> > I am using Dovecot 2.3.4.1 with maildirs. Just found out that MacOS Mail
> > clients cannot work with nested folders, presumably because the MacOS
> > Mail does not understand "." as the IMAP separator.
>
> This is not correct. Mac Mail has no problems with nested folders and never has had any problem with nested folders. I have always used the '.' separator and I've had a 'Root' mail folder with subfolders since at least 2004.

I think I have already posted this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8347018

Also this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007090423071517
It contains weird advice but at least proves that the problem exists for *some* people.
See also the comments therein.

> > I don't want to break mail for 50 people just to please one Mac Mail
> > user. The users are advanced developers actively using mail sorting
> > rules, nested folders etc.
>
> And what makes them think nested folders do not work?

I don't have the exact error message from him but it was pretty
obvious about a folder "foo/bar/bob" being non-existent or inaccessible.
And indeed, it's "~/Maildir/.foo.bar.bob" on the IMAP server's disk, there are no
subdirectories for mail folders.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/