Disable authentication for submission service

Benny Pedersen me at junc.eu
Sun Aug 1 07:26:35 EEST 2021

On 2021-07-29 10:12, Vladislav Kurz wrote:

> I thought that mandatory authentication is the whole point of having
> mail
> submission on other port than 25. But looking at the RFC:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6409#section-4.3
> It says that authorization by other means (being within a protected
> subnetwork) is possible.

from the time of pop-before-smtp rfc1918 have always worked for all,
when a single ip could open up smtp auth for multiple rfc1918 ips in the
time frame could relay all the mails without any needs for provide any
password for it

hopefully none like to see this back

not even on ipv6 btw

> Anyway, as dovecot ultimately passes the mail to MTA, it is much easier
> make the unauthenticated IP relay list in MTA, and submit on port 25.

it could still be another port then 25 there, it will be a mess to mix
outbound and inbound on same port

> Or is there something special you want doevecot to do with those mails?

hopefull no, i think dovecot have submission for director hosts to still
use one single mta server for outbound, not to change hos end users uses
it