Containerize dovecot?

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:59:02 EEST 2021

On 25/08/2021 06.46, William Edwards wrote:
> I think the general concensus is that containerisation isn't always better than 'normal' VMs. 'Easy deployment & scaling' is also perfectly possible without containers.

I've had a few discussions with clients who are dead-set on running a docker this, or a snap that, or whatever container they just read about. But they want to run it on a VM in the cloud. To me it seems weird. In your cloud VM you already have an environment which you can configure exactly how you like it. You can resize it, clone it, snapshot it. Running a docker container inside this VM just seems to be adding an extra level of complexity to things, probably resulting in worse performance.

I can see docker containers have their uses, especially for development environments, but I don't think it makes sense in a lot of cases. Feel free to persuade me otherwise! I'm keen to hear counter arguments!

P.