[OT] Re: What kind of search response time are you setting with solr full text search?

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Wed Aug 25 20:13:18 EEST 2021

> This is offtopic for this list, but I will try to help you.  If I am
> unsuccessful, you should raise the issue on the solr-users mailing
> list.

Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated.

> How much of the total server memory of 4GB did you give to Solr for
> its heap?  Is there other software running on that server besides
> Solr?

I'm not sure and didn't know I could assign memory to solr. This is the
first time I've used solr; I'm totally inexperienced with it. I've
attached a screenshot that hopefully helps answer your question.

This machine is dedicated to solr and runs no other software as a daemon
not related to the OS.

> What's the total size of all the Solr indexes on the Solr server?

du -shc on /var/solr/data reports 781 M of total data.

du -sch on the core I'm using is only 116 M. As of now, I have 15K
documents with about 2K deleted in the core.

> Can you get the screenshot mentioned at the following URL, put it on a
> file-sharing site, and give me the URL?
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/SolrPerformanceProblems#SolrPerformanceProblems-Askingforhelponamemory/performanceissue

Attached.

> (disclaimer: I wrote that Solr wiki page)
>
> You should read the entire page, the link above is to the section
> describing useful screenshots)

OK, I will.

> General note:  A Solr search that takes 3 seconds (let alone 15) would
> have me concerned.  If the system is sized appropriately, I would
> expect a search even on a massive index to complete in less than a
> second.
>
> I happen to be using Solr for dovecot myself.  If I search my index
> for "the" which is very common in English text, the query takes 19
> milliseconds, and that is searching on five fields, as well as doing a
> facet on the user field.  My Solr index has 150048 messages (122K of
> those are in my personal mailbox) and takes up 628 megabytes of disk
> space.  The total size of the email that is indexed is 7 gigabytes.

Interesting and good to know.

> |<str name="parsedquery_toString">+(cc:the | from:the | to:the |
> body:the | subject:the)</str> |
>
> My index is using the stopword filter but the list of stopwords is
> empty.
>
> The following response may interest you:
>
> https://apaste.info/hm42
>
> This is a search for "a" which I had run several times, so Solr was
> serving it from its cache, and this time it only took 6 milliseconds.
> It also shows what a facet can do.  The longest time I got for the "a"
> search was 15 milliseconds, before the query was in the cache.

I think they queries themselves are returning very quickly, at least
they were when I did a query on a single inbox. That's why I'm wondering
if doing a search across 40 different inboxes via roundcube might be the
issue. I'm thinking that each time a new mailbox is selected, it slows
things down. But I have no idea how the IMAP search is performed across
multiple inboxes so that's just a wild guess.