[OT] Re: What kind of search response time are you setting with solr full text search?

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Wed Aug 25 22:57:02 EEST 2021

> I'm inclined to believe the problem is not that high up the food
> chain. Because when I query IMAP on a single folder over telnet
> following the instructions found here:
> https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/fts/solr/, imap reports
> that it's taking 3 to 4 seconds to return results:
>
> a search text "maynez"
> a OK Search completed (3.386 + 0.001 + 0.250 secs).
>
> This particular search returns a few hundred results.
>
> The speed of the query changed depending on whether a lot of results
> are returned. So if I search on a nonsensical word like "zyzzix", imap
> reports results nearly instantaneously:
>
> a search text "zyzzix"
> a OK Search completed (0.012 + 0.000 + 0.006 secs).

I just did a quick test. I did a search over imap over telnet with fts
plugins turned off and with them turned on.

The search time was no better with it on than off.

So I'm thinking I got something misconfigured somewhere. It seems IMAP
may not be using solr to fetch results. But this would be odd since I
definitely do see a big improvements in times with fts plugins turned on
when using roundcube.