Duplicate plugins - FTS Xapian

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Tue Aug 31 13:59:48 EEST 2021

On 31-08-2021 12:01, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>>> If you look closer, you can see they are not exactly duplicates.
>>> Flatcurve works differently than your plugin.
>>>
>>> Aki
>>
>> Is there somewhere a direct comparison of them?
>> I currenty use fts-xapian from Joan without problems.
>> But what would be the advantages of fts-flatcurve over fts-xapian?
>
> fts_flatcurve does only full word searching, although you can use fts_filters and fts_tokenizers settings to affect stemming and other matching to make it work with plurals and such.
>
> Both plugins have their merits.

I still think it's weird to see that Open-Xchange starts a FTS Xapian
plugin with mostly the same basic functionality that is already
available in an existing plugin maintained by someone in the community
Especially if that happens without any (apparent) communication with the
existing plugin developer to find out whether fixing the issues that
slusarz/Open-Xchange seem to have with the existing plugin, can be fixed.

Combining forces just seems a better way to spend scarce development
resources than building something similar (but different) without any
communication.

(Note: I don't use any of these plugins).

My 2 cents,

	Tom