Dovecot Folder and file permissions.

Thomas Strike thomas.strike at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:18:27 EET 2021

While working with adding a website to apache on my server something
caused a blanket resetting of all file permissions on the server to
apache:apache. I have most of the server running again but my mail
services is another story. I have configured vmail on a Postfix with
Dovecot and mariadb install. What I need is help with reestablishing the
correct file and folder permissions that dovecot uses. The following is
my configuration;

# OS: Linux 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release
8.1.1911 (Core)  xfs
# Dovecot version# 2.2.36 (1f10bfa63)
# Hostname: sleepyvalley
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_home = /var/vmail/%d/%n
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = mail
mail_uid = vmail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
passdb {
   args = scheme=CRAM-MD5 username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at sleepyvalley.net
service auth-worker {
   user = vmail
}
service auth {
     mode = 0666
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     mode = 0666
     user = vmail
   }
}
service lmtp {
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0666
     user = postfix
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/mail.sleepyvalley.net/fullchain.pem
ssl_cipher_list = PROFILE=SYSTEM
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
userdb {
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%d/%n
   driver = static
}

I really need help with this, thanks.