migration with doveadm backup to new cluster running dovecot 2.2.36 and replicator

Thomas Winterstein thomas.winterstein at rz.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Jan 11 05:18:48 EET 2021

we were able to narrow down the cause of the problem.

After the initial dsync migration process the mailbox GUIDs are the same
for each mailbox-name across all users.
	Is this intended behaviour of dsync?
	If not, how can this be changed?

After the first replication process the Inboxes of ~20% of users get
different mailbox GUIDs.

During the next incremental dsync process the mailbox GUIDs of these
~20% get overridden by the inital one.

Then the incremental replication duplicates those Inboxes where the
mailbox GUIDs don't match.

Any ideas?

thanks
Thomas

On 07.01.2021 16:41, Thomas Winterstein wrote:
>>> dsync is intended to be used to change mailbox format, so it should
>>> work just fine.
>
> that's exactly what we thought and why we use dsync to migrate like
> described here
>
>    https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync
>

> Our replication is configured according to
>
>    https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication
>

> Both processes run separately in time.
>

> Still on some accounts mails of Inbox or another folder get duplicated.
> We're currently trying to debug this.
>
> what are we missing?
>
> thanks
> Thomas
>
> On 07.01.2021 10:21, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>> dsync is intended to be used to change mailbox format, so it should
>> work just fine.
>>
>> Aki
>>
>>> On 07/01/2021 11:17 Andrea Gabellini
>>> <andrea.gabellini at telecomitalia.sm> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I had a similar problem some time ago, and the problem was the mailbox
>>> format change.
>>>
>>> Please try to migrate with the same format.
>>>
>>> Andrea

>>> --
>>> __________________________
>>> Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy ?
>>> __________________________
>>>
>>> TIM San Marino S.p.A.
>>> Andrea Gabellini
>>> Engineering R&D
>>> TIM San Marino S.p.A. - https://www.telecomitalia.sm
>>> Via Ventotto Luglio, 212 - Piano -2
>>> 47893 - Borgo Maggiore - Republic of San Marino
>>> Tel: (+378) 0549 886237

--
Thomas Winterstein .................... http://www.rz.uni-augsburg.de/
Universität Augsburg, Rechenzentrum ............. Tel. (0821) 598-2068