Dovecot and mutt

Mon Jan 25 11:55:34 EET 2021

On 25/01/2021 09:08, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
> It would be useful to automatically de-HTML e-mails, but this is not a
> task for dovecot. Even more useful would be to deprecate HTML in e-mails.

Why would it be useful to deprecate HTML in emails? Presumably you're
arguing for an alternative, more restricted markup language such as
Enriched Text[1], Markdown[2]? Mutt already supports Enriched Text, but
is probably the most popular MUA which does. I'm not aware of an MUA
that natively renders Markdown bodies - most of the tutorials I see
about that involve composing the message in Markdown and then converting
it to HTML for sending - but to be honest, at this point the effort is a
bit late. Realistically, how are you going to render that Markdown text
in a Graphical MUA? Either you're going to write a custom control which
renders the markup as styled text (that is, converts **bold** to a
bold-face font etc) or you're just going to run the Markdown through a
Markdown->HTML converter and pass it to a Web Browser component (both
the converter and the renderer are "solved problems" so guess which
solution developers would choose), in which case, what's the point of
going "around the houses"?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown