Processing incoming mail efficiently

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Sat Jan 30 21:54:07 EET 2021

On 30-01-2021 19:11, Ron Garret wrote:
> Sorry, I left out a few details.
>
> The filter actually has two parts, one of which is on the MTA side (a milter).  That part does things like keep track of outgoing mail from authorized users so that it knows when an incoming message has a subject line that a user has sent out or is from a sender that a user has previously sent a message to.  Those are two very reliable ham signals.
>
> The reason there is also a filter on the LDA side is that one of the filtering strategies I’m using is looking for two messages from two different previously unknown senders with the same subject received within a few minutes of each other.  This turns out to be a very reliable spam signal.  But it requires that messages with unknown provenance to be held in temporary storage for a while to see if another matching message comes in.  That message then needs to be processed as spam after the fact.

If you don't want to deliver the message to the inbox of the sender, you
should just do that: don;t deliver it. Put it in some quarantine, and
when you're sure you want it to end up in the mailbox of the user, pick
up the message from quarantine and put it back in the mail queue, and
have it delivered using the normal delivery route.

How you set up the quarantine is up to you. This could be a simple
mailbox, which is reprocessed using a sieve filter (as you suggested).
The most logical routine would then be to consume the message by the
sieve filter, and then re-inject it in the mail delivery queue. But
there are probably better solutions.

I suggest that you look into existing OSS quarantine solutions and learn
from them, amavis or rspamd come to mind. IMHO you're still trying to
re-invent the wheel :)

Kind regards,
	Tom