Bug: empty prefix value in userdb lookup defaults to "yes"?

Dan Malm dam at one.com
Fri Jul 2 12:03:41 EEST 2021

On 2021-07-02 10:56, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> On 02/07/2021 11:48 Dan Malm <dam at one.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to migrate some users into our system from another one that
>> also run dovecot but with different prefix and separator settings than
>> we do.
>>
>> I've setup userdb to return these values for a test user to match the
>> other systems separator/prefix setup:
>> {
>>   "home": "/customers/b/5/3/cdeadbeef/mail/m0123456789abcdef/",
>>   "namespace/inbox/separator": "/",
>>   "uid": 10000001,
>>   "namespace/inbox/prefix": "",
>>   "gid": 10000001
>> }
>>
>> But the empty value for prefix seems to get converted to some default
>> value of "yes" as when I log in with that user dovecot throws this error:
>>
>> Error: namespace configuration error: list=yes requires prefix=yes to
>> end with separator /
>>
>> Dovecot version: 2.3.13
>> OS: Ubuntu 20.04.2
>>
>> --
>> BR/Mvh. Dan Malm, Systems Engineer, One.com
>
> This is indeed what happens. Your best option is to not set the variable at all when it's empty.
>
> Aki

Not setting the variable in userdb will make it use the value from our
10-dovecot.conf which would make use "INBOX." though... Which is why i
needed to get the new value from userdb...

The server is set up to use
prefix=INBOX.
separator=.

and we need to have this for some specific users only:
prefix=
separator=/

--
BR/Mvh. Dan Malm, Systems Engineer, One.com