Sv: 2FA/MFA with IMAP & postfix/submission

Sebastian sebastian at sebbe.eu
Thu Jul 15 19:54:16 EEST 2021

The thing is, that people must stop expecting "being able to access mail whenever you are" without extra steps.

Best solution is to offer a webmail with TOTP or SQRL or similiar secure auth method.

Then have that webmail adds IP or country into trusted list, so if you want to access IMAP mail or SMTP mail from hotel wifi, you have to simply do one single login to webmail, and then your IMAP/SMTP will work as usual.

The problem with certificates, is as I said, not many clients support them. Outlook support them natively, I don't know if Windows Mail support them, and I don't know if Samsung Mail do support them (maybe they do support client certificates in Enterprise mode, but then you need a license for that), K9 mail I know support them, other built-in email clients I don't know if they support client certificates.

The solution I have on my email is a OpenVPN connection to my server, which is protected. My phone has a 24/7 connection to that VPN server, and thus im able to lock out all logins outside from VPN.