Disable authentication for submission service

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Wed Jul 28 19:19:53 EEST 2021

I am quite curious about the circumstances of this question. I was not aware that Dovecot actually offered mail submission service. If Dovecot does offer such a service, then it will have to relay the submitted mail to the real MTA, which is very likely not Dovecot. At the moment I have Postfix set up as MTA for that purpose —

Relaying on port 25 is usually quick and easy to whitelist for certain permitted hosts, but otherwise port 587, optionally with STARTTLS, and/or port 465 with SSL/TLS is generally set up for user authenticated mail submissions.

See also:
https://www.mailgun.com/blog/which-smtp-port-understanding-ports-25-465-587/