public folders, ACLs

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Jul 30 12:53:22 EEST 2021

greetings ...

I got the following request from a customer where we run dovecot-2.3.15
on a debian server:

They have a public folder with all their project-related subfolders inside:

namespace {

   location = maildir:/home/vmail/oeffentlich

   prefix = Oeffentlich/

   separator = /

   subscriptions = yes

   type = public

}

So far we don't have the mail_plugin ACL enabled.

They want to be able to create projectfolders that aren't
move/delete/rename-able by the users, only by some admins.

But the users should be allowed to move mails between different
projectfolders etc

As far as I understand we can do that with Dovecot ACLs (although I am
still figuring out how to properly design them ...).

My questions:

* if I enable the mail_plugin for ACLs, does that in any way change the
behavior of existing mailboxes?

afai understand: no. Only if ACL-lists exist in the various mailboxes,
these get applied, right?

I don't want to break things, and I want to avoid additional complexity
for the non-public user mailboxes etc

Maybe I can enable the plugin only for that public namespace?

* maybe someone has a link to a similar setup?

thanks in advance, Stefan