What imap ssl/auth settings work best with MS Outlook?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Sat May 1 21:46:15 EEST 2021

@lbutlr> On 30 Apr 2021, at 01:20, Arjen de Korte <build+dovecot at de-korte.org> wrote:
>> Citeren "@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com>:
>>
>>> When you enter your email address, it would be TRIVIAL to check the MX records for the domain and fill those in for the SMTP and IMAP servers, allowing users to more easily add (if needed) the domain prefix.
>>>
>>> No one does this.
>>
>> Rightfully so. There is absolutely no guarantee that the server on the inbound (MX) record also handles outbound and/or IMAP. In many cases, these will be different systems.

lbutlr> It is very very common. It's been at least a decade since I
lbutlr> saw a configuration in which the SMTP/IMAP servers were on a
lbutlr> different domain than the MX domain.

My current $WORK used to have different incoming MX servers vs the
outgoing, since we used an external spam filtering service.

John