huge mdbox broken / Log synchronization error

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri May 7 10:17:26 EEST 2021

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 02:24:36PM +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> Sorry, I ment that it really looks like, based on the logs, that
> something else was hoarding your indexes for 15023 seconds, and I
> can't really think anything else than some imap process being there.
> Or you are running it twice.

So i am pretty shure nothing else is accessing this mailbox - This morning
i opened the screen session and i am here:

doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox gd3kaen2nv: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox qx0q0x4aaxb6tdct58dsuqo7hcyutc: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox wzc4wfslhane: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox 6ldnyxu: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox buttrubbin19june1995: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox cizl858lstverlhyt6wcuma: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox ou7puqd2a: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox o1tbffmh2legdry91sgdjykoa9: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox miy6ugauaz: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox rk3wmrgcgi4rugiwf7y3uec4ate: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox ixazuy553fhrt5zgow0: Mailbox opened because: mdbox rebuild
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Warning: Transaction log file /var/vmail/wasteland/inbox/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index.log was locked for 18705 seconds (mdbox storage rebuild)
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Warning: fscking index file /var/vmail/wasteland/inbox/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Debug: Mailbox cizl858lstverlhyt6wcuma: Mailbox opened because: force-resync
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Warning: fscking index file /var/vmail/wasteland/inbox/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index
doveadm(inbox at wasteland): Warning: mdbox /var/vmail/wasteland/inbox/mdbox/storage: rebuilding indexes

15 Hours and still going. I'll give it another round and then i'll restore from backup.
Seems it wont end. Restore from borg took 9 Minutes in November just as a comparison.
This machine is capable of reading/writing this whole mailbox in a few minutes
but doveadm force-resync seems to have a hard time repairing.

In strace i can see that the process of force-resync starts with reading all storage files
and then statting all folders and then rewriting all folders. And it seems it does this
in a loop over and over again and i fail to see reasons or problems even when
running with debug ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de