How to set lmtp delivery file/directory permissions?

Kurt Fitzner kurt+dove at va1der.ca
Sat May 8 23:47:40 EEST 2021

I have my postfix/dovecot virtual mail system essentially (otherwise)
configured where Postfix is calling Dovecot for its virtual transport:
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

But I can't for the life of me see how to change the file permissions
dovecot uses to create maildir folders and files.  I looked at the
maildir [1], lmtp [2], and other documents and they are either silent on
permissions or seem to reference a shared mail permissions document [3]
that claims file and folder permissions are inherited.  I want all files
dovecot creates to be made accessible to the mail group.  Please tell me
this wasn't hard-coded a la postfix.

Thanks,

     Kurt Fitzner

Links: