Dovecot Subfolder Always Uses dot separator with mdbox

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Mon May 24 08:56:33 EEST 2021

> On 22/05/2021 20:36 Steven Smith <steve.t.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I’m trying to configure dovecot to use mailbox subfolders that look like both foo/bar on the IMAP client and the filesystem.
>
> But the subfolders created all look like foo.bar, not foo/bar with a proper nesting structure.
>
> This also happens when the folder ‘bar’ is moved into the folder ‘foo’—A new folder `foo.bar’ is created.
>
> I believe that i’m following the configuration rules at https://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir#Maildir_and_filesystems and https://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir. This issue happens whether I set separator to its default, ‘.’, or ‘/’:

Namespace separator and filesystem separator are different. It should be using / as *filesystem* separator with LAYOUT=FS, and it should be using namespace separator / since you've specified it.

Can you do `doveadm exec imap -o mail_debug=yes -u target-user` and provide logs after `1 SELECT INBOX`

Aki