missing +w perm

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Thu May 27 22:24:31 EEST 2021

I've started seeing the following error in mail.err for precisely one
user on precisely one domain:

    Error: mkdir(/var/mail/vmail//jeff/mail) failed: Permission denied
    (euid=1000(jeff) egid=1001(jeff) missing +w perm: /var/mail/vmail/,
    dir owned by 4000:4000 mode=0755)

    Error: Mailbox INBOX: Failed to autocreate mailbox: Internal error
    occurred.

In mail.log I see a bit more:

    Warning: Failed to parse address from `From_'-line: Missing domain
    Error: mkdir(/var/mail/vmail//jeff/mail) failed: Permission denied
    (euid=1000(jeff) egid=1001(jeff) missing +w perm: /var/mail/vmail/,
    dir owned by 4000:4000 mode=0755)
    Error: mkdir(/var/mail/vmail//jeff/mail) failed: Permission denied
    (euid=1000(jeff) egid=1001(jeff) missing +w perm: /var/mail/vmail/,
    dir owned by 4000:4000 mode=0755)
    Error: Mailbox INBOX: Failed to autocreate mailbox: Internal error
    occurred. Refer to server log for more information.
    save failed to open mailbox INBOX: Mailbox INBOX: Failed to
    autocreate mailbox: Internal error occurred.

And yet there's no apparent problem sending and receiving mail for user
jeff, for all domains handled by the server.  Other users have no
issues.  The /var/mail/vmail/ hierarchy is all owned by vmail:vmail
(4000:4000) and directories are all 0755.

I suspect a red herring except it's been continuing for a week now.  I
was reading this page (following some searching), but it doesn't seem
pertinent in the end.

    https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/mbox#A.2BAC8-var.2BAC8-mail.2BAC8_dotlocks

Any suggestions what this might be?

--