Solr FTS - message deletes not working as expected

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Tue Nov 2 17:16:49 EET 2021

On 10/28/21 8:00 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Also, when I send a message with Thunderbird, which deletes the
> message in Drafts and adds one to Sent, I am not seeing a delete
> request in the Solr log.  I do see the add. So this isn't limited to
> just the shift-delete workflow.

I have confirmed this with multiple attempts.

I start a new message in Thunderbird.  Then I wait around for that
message to be auto-saved to Drafts.  When that happens, I see an "add"
request in the solr log.

Then I send the message.  At that point, I see another add in Solr's
log.  Based on the message number in the add request, I know that this
time the add happens in the Sent folder.  But despite the fact that
Thunderbird deletes the message from Drafts, Solr never sees a delete
request.  My dovecot version has been updated since the last time I
indicated what version it is.  Now it is "2:2.3.17-3+ubuntu20.04" from
the dovecot repo, not the ubuntu repo.  The same thing happened with 2.3.16.

As I mentioned in the first message on this thread, when shift-delete is
used in Thunderbird to delete messages, that also never sends a delete
to Solr.

Something somewhere is misbehaving.  Is it Thunderbird accessing IMAP
incorrectly, or is it Dovecot?

I will do a packet capture to see if maybe dovecot is sending requests
that are not logged by Solr.  That seems unlikely -- even bad requests
should result in some kind of entry in the solr log.

Thanks,
Shawn