Solr FTS - message deletes not working as expected

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Thu Nov 18 16:13:51 UTC 2021

On 11/3/21 11:45 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Manual expunges of existing messages also are not sending a delete
> request to Solr.  I waited several minutes for that too.

Update on this, since you're all on the edge of your seat waiting. :)

I did a Send test with TypeApp, a mail client for Android.  It behaved
completely as expected:  Dovecot immediately sent a delete request to
Solr for the temporary message in Drafts.

So I went to Mozilla forums and started a discussion about what I am
seeing with Thunderbird.

I did another test run with sending a message with unique text, and
doing a manual Solr query for that unique text, I saw one result before
sending and two results after sending.  Watching the Solr log, no delete
request was sent.

Then something completely unexpected:  I needed to reboot the laptop, so
I quit Thunderbird, and I hadn't yet closed my ssh session to the mail
server, which was still tailing the solr log with a grep for delete
messages.  As soon as I did the quit, Solr got a delete request for the
Drafts message.  I did another test -- shift-delete a message, see that
Solr did not see the delete request.  And then after I waited a while, I
quit Thunderbird again.  Instantly got a delete request in Solr's log.

Definitely a Thunderbird problem, not dovecot.  Thanks for your
patience, everyone.  I will pursue it with Mozilla now.

Thanks,
Shawn