Maybe a bit offtopic, Sieve beaviour

João Silva joaopfmlist at lipc.fis.uc.pt
Wed Aug 24 14:29:51 UTC 2022

On 23/08/2022 13:03, Rob Sterenborg (Lists) wrote:

> On 23-08-2022 11:44, João Silva wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If a sieve filter contains a rule
>>
>> if header :regex ["From"] ["@xxx.com","@yyy.pt"] {
>>          fileinto :create "ac";
>> }
>>
>> The mail should be copied to the folder ac and then proceed to other
>> rules that a user might have or I understood the
>>
>> fileinto
>>
>> wrong?
>>
>> Using dovecot-pigeonhole-2.2.36-8.el7.x86_64
>>

> I use it like this, and it works for me:
>
> if address :is "From" "sender at domain" {
>   fileinto :create "some_mail_folder";
>   stop;
> }
>
> Almost 20 years ago, I figured out that I *need* the "stop;" line, but
> I don't remember why.

The stop; is needed to prevent further script actions on the email and
that is a very curious thing that I dont know if falls in the "bug or
feature" field.

if I use

if header :regex ["From"] ["@xxx.com","@yyy.pt"] {
          fileinto :create "ac";

         keep;

}

It delivers the mail in my Inbox which was my intention in the first place.

When I used the filter without the keep; and since I didn't had the
stop; I was expecting further actions on that email that will lead to
the email end up in the Inbox and that didn't happened.

So it apears that the fileinto rule have a stop; into it without the
stop being declared.

In a complex mail management scenario that can cause problems. So my
question is, "bug or feature"?