On mailbox full, retry for 4 days or similar instead of reject

dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de
Tue Feb 8 09:02:11 UTC 2022

Am 07.02.22 um 23:41 schrieb Jorge Bastos:

> I want postfix not to discard the message imediatly when a mailbox is
> full, i mean when postfix tries to deliver it to dovecot lmtp.
> Is it possible to change the behavior to something like what postfix
> does when he tries to deliver a message to an external server and the
> server is unaccessible for 4 days (the default i guess), and if in that
> period discard it.

if you set "quota_full_tempfail" to "yes" in dovecots lda.conf, it
should answer with a temporary failure-code 422 instead of permanent
522. (at least the code of lmtp_local_rcpt_reply_overquota() says so)

as lmtp is similar to smtp, postfix or any other MTA should honor this
and keep the message in queue until the temporary failure goeas away or
the queue-timeout (in Postfix!) is reached.

d.