Migrate mail_location

hello at reox.at hello at reox.at
Mon Jan 3 08:51:33 UTC 2022

Hi!

I have a dovecot installation, with the following configuration:
mail_home = /var/vmail/%d/%n
mail_location = maildir:~

I would like to migrate the mail_location to maildir:~/mail, to get
around the issues described in the documentation.
But I can not really find a good way to do that.
I played around with doveadm sync/backup, but I can only copy everything
into a new location (i.e. doveadm sync maildir:~/mail), but this does
not really untangle the mail_home and location.
My other idea was to migrate the maildir manually, i.e. move the maildir
related folders and files (new, cur, tmp, all folders starting with a
dot and containing itself {new,cur,tmp}, dovecot.* files, subscriptions
file) into the ~/mail folder, but I'm not sure if this is a safe method.

Is there any safe method to do this using dovecot tools? If the only way
is a offline migration, I'm fine with that.

Best,
Sebastian