GDPR/sender-ip (was: make received-header on submission optional or at least drop the ip in it)

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Wed Jan 5 17:36:25 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 06:00:31PM +0100, John Fawcett wrote:
> my understanding of the GDPR legislation is that it defines what is
> considered lawful processing. One of those items that makes the
> processing lawful is consent.

Not necessarily.

An action that would not be lawful without consent is not automatically
made lawful with consent, including under GDPR.

> If I send an email to a public mailing list I think it's fair to say
> that I am providing consent.

Again, not necessarily.

First of all, consent cannot necessarily be assumed.

Secondly, a person sending an email to a mailing list might very well
consent for the mailing list's recipients to receive the content,
subject, and reply address of that email - but *not* the IP address from
which it was sent.

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.