TLS connection closed unexpectedly

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Fri Jan 7 17:50:30 UTC 2022

On 07/01/2022 18:31, Ken Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-01-07 at 10:02 +0100, Christian Kivalo wrote:
>>
>> On January 7, 2022 9:51:20 AM GMT+01:00, Ken Wright
>> <daddywarlock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I reinstalled Dovecot this evening, because I haven't been able to
>>> receive emails recently.  After configuring and adjusting for the use
>>> of PostfixAdmin, I get the following error message in Evolution:;
>>>
>>> Failed to open folder.
>>> The reported error was "Failed to authenticate: TLS connection closed
>>> unexpectedly".
>>>
>>> Does anyone recognize this error?
>> Do you have a connection attempt logged by dovecot?
>> Is there anything in the logs on the server?
> Here's the output of tail /var/log/mail.log:

> Jan  7 12:23:02 grace dovecot: auth-worker(665770): Error:
> sql(www-data at mydomain.com): User query failed: You have an error in
> your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB
> server version for the right syntax to use near 'FROM mailbox WHERE
> username = 'www-data at mydomain.com' AND active='1'' at line 1
> Jan  7 12:23:02 grace dovecot:
> lmtp(www-data at mydomain.com)<666838><kNcEEfZ22GHWLAoAThsuZQ>: Error:
> auth-master: userdb lookup(www-data at mydomain.com): Auth USER lookup
> failed
> Jan  7 12:23:02 grace dovecot: lmtp(666838): Error: lmtp-server: conn
> unix:pid=666840,uid=117 [6]: rcpt www-data at mydomain.com: Failed to
> lookup user www-data at mydomain.com: Internal error occurred. Refer to
> server log for more information.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Ken

Ken

it may or may not be related to the tls issue, but I think you will want
to investigate that message about the SQL query syntax error. You are
not going to be able to login if the query is giving errors. Check the
user_query in the dovecot configuration, since the SQL snippet in the
log doesn't reveal the cause.

John