Non-user logins?

dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de
Sat Jan 8 13:26:36 UTC 2022

Am 08.01.22 um 05:27 schrieb Dave McGuire:

> trying to mess with other peoples' stuff.  I run fail2ban to catch those
> log entries and block the source IP address for a month on the first
> failed login.  At any one time I have between 12,000 and 15,000

well, I don't know how _your_ users are connected to the internet, but
in germany most people has at least daily changing IPs out of larger
pools (when connected via xDSL) or even sometimes shares ip-addresses
with others (when connected via tv-cable or mobile - having a private
network-address, which is natted), so it's possible to get/use an IP,
which was used before by some script-kiddies...

so everyone, who's blocking such requests for more than some
minutes/hours should be aware of maybe blocking legitimate user-logins...

btw.: setting up a new mail-client and making any mistake by reading it
from old install or writing it into new install also leads to a
months-blocking with above restrictive handling...
(any may drive this user mad)

so anyone, who has no experience with blocking should be really careful
with it.

d.