Can't log in from Evolution or Roundcube

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 8 22:15:52 UTC 2022

On 1/8/22 3:04 PM, William Edwards wrote:
>>   After that's working, then move on to Roundcube.  Look in
>> Roundcube's config.inc.php file.  Where that file is located is
>> system-dependend; mine is in /opt/local/etc/roundcube, which is
>> specific to SmartOS. Parameter "$config['db_dsnw']" is the DSN for
>> your database connection. This is the format of that configuration
>> variable:
>>
>> $config['db_dsnw'] = 'mysql://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER/DATABASE';
>>
>>   You're running MariaDB, which is a fork of MySQL, so I'm guessing
>> that Roundcube doesn't differentiate between the two, so the "mysql"
>> above is probably correct.  Check the docs if that fails.  Obviously,
>> the words in uppercase must be correct for your installation.
>> "SERVER" might be "localhost" for you. (it isn't for me)
>
> AFAIK, the error "Connection to storage server failed" only occurs when
> Roundcube can't connect to IMAP (in this case, Dovecot). If there's a
> database issue, Roudcube should show the message "Unable to connect to
> the database!".

   Rummaging through the source code, I see that you are indeed correct.
  Thank you for that clarification.

>>   One quick thing to check: Did you issue a "flush privileges" command
>> to MariaDB after creating the account for Roundcube to use?
>
> FWIW, that hasn't been needed for quite some time when not directly
> manipulating mysql.users (i.e. using `CREATE USER`).

   I had heard that, but not knowing:

   - what release of MySQL obviated that long-standing requirement
   - when MariaDB forked from MySQL
   - what release of anything the OP is running
   - how the OP chose to manipulate the grant tables

   ...I chose to make the recommendation for the sake of safety, as it's
cheap to try.

   Now maybe we can get back to the OP's actual problems, which nobody
else seems to be interested in today.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ