source code doesn't compile

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jan 12 05:14:44 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:56:25PM -0500, dovecot at ptld.com wrote:
> > I am running an older version of dovecott and would really like to
> > upgrade it and there is no package for this linux version
>

> Not sure what OS you are using, but in case you didn't know, dovecot maintains their own repos for popular OS's allowing you to use your package manager to install the newest version.
>
>    https://repo.dovecot.org/

I needed to compile it.  It should compile, FWIW.
Thank you for checking in with that (expected but not useful) answer.
As for the next follow up, "why do I insist on compiling it, you must be
ignorant..."  the answer is because I have to compile it because I have to
and why is not important for this conversation.  If you feel discussing why the source
doesn't compile is a waste of your time, I understand, but that is the
problem I am facing and the problem I am hoping to fix.  It doesn't compile from github or
from the tar ball.  In the case of the tarball, it steps on itself
trying to create a directory where a file was just created under 'auth'

So there seems to be an error in the makefile resulting from autoconf.

This is the autogen.sh response
./autogen.sh
--2022-01-12 00:10:41--  https://www.dovecot.org/tmp/wiki2-export.tar.gz
Resolving www.dovecot.org (www.dovecot.org)... 94.237.12.234,
2a04:3545:1000:720:acc1:5bff:fe5e:4e9
Connecting to www.dovecot.org (www.dovecot.org)|94.237.12.234|:443...
connected.
OpenSSL: error:1409442E:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert
protocol version
Unable to establish SSL connection.
tar (child): wiki2-export.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
Failed to uncompress wiki docs

I would think it is in the interest of the project that the source code
should compile.  Otherwise new hackers who might want to contribute,
amoung other things, won't be able to get off of ground 0 with the code
base.

Reuvain

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!