source code doesn't compile

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Wed Jan 12 16:06:57 UTC 2022

>>>>> "Ruben" == Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> writes:

Ruben> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 09:37:12AM +0200, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> > something in the autoconf config caused it to try to put auth and the
>> > auth directory in the same local.. that should narrow the issue to a
>> > couple of lines of config code.  I am not an expert in autoconf
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> There is limited amount of interest in trying to fix old operating systems, unfortunately. Especially as there is no such thing as "couple of lines of autoconf code".
>>
>> Aki

Ruben> That is perfectly understandable.

Ruben> However, there should be interest that ./configure doesn't contruct a make file
Ruben> which steps on itself which is a condition that should never happen.
Ruben> Autoconf tools are supposed to handle these problems.  It should compile
Ruben> from Slackware to Gentoo to Red Hat Enterprise.  At the end of the day,
Ruben> they are all posix compliant systems.

Ruben> make install tried to first make a file
Ruben> called auth and then tries to use the same
Ruben> location on the file system to
Ruben> make a directory.  That is a fixable bug.

I think people would be happy to help out more if you would provide
more details on this appliance and the exact version of OpenSUSE (or
not) it is based off of.  Giving a list of the packages installed and
their versions will also help.

The config.log output from the configure script would also help.

Assume people are trying to be helpful when they reply to "use the
packaged versions if possible" instead of being mean or snarky to
you.

Compiling from source isn't always easy, I've been doing it for 30+
years and I remember all the hell I went through getting stuff to
compile on DEC Ultrix, DEC OSF/1, SunOS 4, Solaris 1.x, Irix 4 (?
forget the version), HP-UX and AIX all at the same time.  It was
painful at times and exposed all kinds of issues.

These days most linux distros are much better, but as newer tools and
security and encryption gets deployed, sometimes it's hard to keep old
appliances with old base OS images supported.

So just send alot of details and people will see what they can do.
Don't try to hide versions or details if possible.  Assume we know
nothing of your setup.

Cheers,
John