sockets created for lmtp

Mike alaskabarsalou at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 23:07:45 UTC 2022

Quoting Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com>:

>> On 17/01/2022 20:56 Mike <alaskabarsalou at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Was recently configuring lmtp to listen in the postfix spool for mail.
>>
>> I set the socket as suggested in the documentation, however, when I
>> look at what sockets were created there was an additional one for
>> dovecot.
>>
>> Since I made the change, my expectation would have been just the one
>> that I set up.
>>
>> I doubt it impacts it negatively, but I wanted to understand if I
>> configured things correctly or not.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Can you provide any details on what you did, what you expected, and
> what you actually observed?
>
> Aki

Sure.  I used the documentation to setup lmtp from here:

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/howto/postfix_dovecot_lmtp/

When issuing this command:

ss -lxn | grep lmtp

And I get:

u_str LISTEN  0       100
private/lmtp 64917     * 0
u_str LISTEN  0       100
/var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp 63578     * 0
u_str LISTEN  0       100
/var/run/dovecot/lmtp 63575     * 0

When I expect:

u_str LISTEN  0       100
private/lmtp 64917     * 0
u_str LISTEN  0       100
/var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp 63578     * 0

The first entry I believe belongs to postfix.
The second one is the one I set as above.
The third seems to be an extra.

I have an Ubuntu setup if that matters.

Again, I don't think it is an issue.  Everything seems to work, just
thought it makes sense to understand what is going on.

Mike