S3 integration w Dovecot

Michael Slusarz michael.slusarz at open-xchange.com
Fri Jan 21 18:21:18 UTC 2022

> On 01/21/2022 10:38 AM Martin Olsen <martin.olsen.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As stated on documentation S3-compatible Storages — Dovecot documentation https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_location/obox/s3/ only AWS S3 is officially supported.
>
> However, we know that Scality has been successfully integrated at some larger corporations.

This is correct, Scality is a partner of Open-Xchange for OX Dovecot Pro installations, and is a supportable storage solution.

> Particularly curious if anyone has integrated with Pure S3 object storage solution, or any other for that matter?

This support is provided through Scality's sproxyd interface, not S3. See https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/obox/scality_key_format/  https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/obox/scality_key_format/.  sproxyd allows us to provide a fully geo-redundant solution that can support Dovecot and the mail storage in multiple active data centers.  S3 support is limited to a single data center/region due to limitations of the S3 protocol.

For OX Dovecot Pro, we only support "AWS S3" for SLA purposes.  This is for several reasons:
* There is no "official" S3 spec. Thus, you have to certify against specific vendors - it is not possible to certify generally against the protocol.  Be very wary of a provider that claims they are "fully AWS S3" compliant - what does that mean if there is no formalized spec?
* Experience has shown us that many S3 installations cannot handle the mail loads in larger Dovecot installations.  After they reach specific loads, they can enter a death spiral and/or become unresponsive.
* It is impossible to support a customer that just installs S3 software themselves and creates their own storage array.  This is a custom/bespoke project.  The purpose of the OX Dovecot Pro product is to provide a full email system out of the box without the need for custom development.
michael