noob maildir question

Steven Varco dovecot.org at bbs.varco.ch
Mon Jan 24 09:15:18 UTC 2022

Hi Mik

> I would like to ask if it is an acceptable practice to manage messages in the maildir as a file (move them from one folder to another) while dovecot is in stop state thinking that it will be rebuild to the next imap user login

Maildir is actually designed to do so, as the storage can also lie on NFS and external programms bring mail in.

Speak, you can move and edit files just like normal on the filesystem (even when doevecot is running) and dovecot will rebuild it’s index accordingly.

However for "mass actions", like moving a lot of mail files, specific IMAP tools (dovecot provides a bunch of them) might be the better choise.

Steven

--
https://www.tech-island.com/