Non-unique Message ID in mail messages

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Fri Jan 28 13:29:36 UTC 2022

On 27.01.22 16:17, Daniel Ryšlink wrote:
> RFC 5322 clearly states that mail messages SHOULD contain a Message ID
> identifier, but if the do contain it, it MUST be globally unique.

The problem with that requirement being that it remains unclear how long
the mail( copie)s it's attached to remain interchangeable versions of a
"globally unique" message.

When an e-mail sent to a at b.com and c at d.net gets split into two copies
and the separate mailservers for b.com and d.net each forward a copy *as
is* to e at f.net, the f.net server would be entirely correct to call
whichever arrives second a duplicate, even though they'll differ by at
least the Received: headers.

considered proper that the copy it sends to e at f.net retains the original
Message-ID - even though there will be more extensive changes to the
headers (list headers, Reply-To:, possibly stuff like retrofitting SPF
and DKIM, ...). Assuming that the list mail arrives second at f.net,
deduplication will keep the recipient from ever reaping the benefit of
those changed headers (as in, having a "Reply List" button pop up in TB).

(However, if I understand correctly that on the list you're talking
about you see the same Message-ID applied to e-mails that are
essentially *replies*/followups to the original one with entirely
different content, I suppose that most people will agree that they
*should* each have a Message-ID of their own, with the IDs of the
earlier e-mails appearing in In-Reply-To: and References: headers to
support threading in MUAs.)

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern