silly quesiton [ot]

Benny Pedersen me at junc.eu
Mon Jan 31 01:39:37 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-31 02:30, Sean Kamath wrote:
>> On Jan 30, 2022, at 10:55, Chris Bennett
>> <chris-dvcot at freedomforlife.rocks> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 03:50:12AM -0900, justina colmena ~biz wrote:
>>> Maybe a future programming project idea: I want a system that will
>>> store all mail messages and user account info in, say, a postgresql
>>> transactional database, a little more manageable and reliable than ad
>>> hoc databasing with those flat files all over the place cluttering up
>>> the system.
>>>

>> I am in progress moving towards something like that.
>> As of right now, perl,  dovecot for IMAP, neomutt and OpenSMTPD.
>>
>> Right now, .neomuttrc files *only* exist during the usage of neomutt.
>> They have random names, cannot be written to and are immediately
>> erased
>> after neomutt starts (not quits). That is a very small window of
>> threat.
>>
>> I would very much like to put all of the messages into PostgreSQL also
>> instead of file folders under the user vmail.
>>
>> This is just a side project.
>> As I have been advised, there is no need to even write a configuration
>> file at all, but there are some issues with dbh that I need to solve
>> with a different database module.
>>
>> If someone can read files that never exist, well...
>> At some point you have to at least consider trusting something.
>> That or just turn it all off and get another career.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Bennett
>
> At some point you gotta ask yourself why you’re trusting your database
> more than your OS.
>
> And why you don’t trust the OS to handle files in a trusted way, but
> do for memory.

dbmail exists, runs fine on sqlite3 :=)

but that joke, why try ?

how huge would that sqlite3 file be ?, i say no to one sqlite3 file, but
yes if each mail user have there own sqlite3 tree with seperate sqlite3
file pr folder and user

if more huge setup is meeded, then postgresql with replication, but this
is not needed with dovecot, its more solid and with performance with
imap protocol, and load balanced

i would not wish for disaster with sqlite3, but it could be done, also
sqlite cluster exists

dream on, its monday where noting works :=)