How to use virtual "All" and "Flagged" mailbox?

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Mon Jan 31 06:30:19 UTC 2022

> On 26/01/2022 19:48 A B <alex.bryant at trancos.com> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the virtual "All" and "Flagged" mailboxes as described in 15-mailboxes.conf.
>
> The information here (https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/virtual_plugin/) doesn't really touch on how to actually interact with the virtual mailboxes.
>
> My presumption is that when I mark an email message in the Inbox as FLAGGED (and I can confirm the \Flagged flag has been set) then I should then be able to either (1) see a copy of that message in the virtual.Flagged folder, or (2) when I use an imap command to get the message nums or whatever from the virtual.Flagged folder/mailbox, it should return the message that is flagged in the inbox as a result.
>
> Additionally, I'm presuming that for each new user that automatically gets added, I would have to create my own script that would add the dovecot-virtual file, dovecot doesn't do that on its own.
>
> When I view the user's directory I see these folders were created:
> ---

<snip/>

You usually use these global virtual folders like this:

namespace virtual {
  location = virtual:/etc/dovecot/virtual:INDEX=~/.virtual:CONTROL=~/.virtual:VOLATILEDIR=~/.virtual/
  ... rest of the settings
}

Then you create the dovecot-virtual files under /etc/dovecot/virtual like

/etc/dovecot/virtual/Flagged/dovecot-virtual

This lets you creat them automatically for all users.

Aki