Apple Mail behaviour: can not create sub-folders

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:52:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Jan Bramkamp wrote:

>> One of my Apple Mail users recently complained his mail reader
>> couldn't create sub-folders -- he could only create top-level folders.
>> Playing around with this, I discovered that I could create folders (
>> as opposed to mialboxes) *if* I specified mailbox name with a trailing
>> slash.
>>
>> Has anyone come across this?  Is this related to
>>
>>     https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_location/mbox/mboxchildfolders/
>
> Which path separators did were used?

'/'  (maps directly to filesystem pathname).

The user stated that it behaved "normally" before where folders and
mailboxes were handled without fuss.  Thunderbird also has a setting
which hints the client as to whether whether Maildir or MBOX was being
used by forbidding creating mailboxes that also contained other mailboxes.

I guess I'm asking whether the Apple mail client now has a similar control or
it's up to the user to figure it all out.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>