Can't create viable password hashes

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Fri Mar 11 06:25:27 UTC 2022

I recently discovered that I can no longer create viable password hashes
for use in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.passwd.  So far, I've been using the
following command done by root:

doveadm_cmd pw -s SHA512-CRYPT -u joe -p mypassword

This creates something that looks legit, but dovecot won't accept it.
I've been using my own solution for allowing users to change their dovecot
passwords (https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/dovepasswd) and this is how it
generates the hashes.  Is there a better way of going about this?

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org