running alternate dovecot instances on the same server

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Mon Mar 21 05:57:47 UTC 2022

> On 20/03/2022 22:36 Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu> wrote:
>

> I'm posting to the list, but not on the list. I presume that means a reply-all to get to me as well
> as the list?
>
> We have two servers (dovecot --version:  2.2.22 (fe789d2)) that handle email for two different
> departments.
>
> We are transitioning mail service to the University central IT. They need to move accounts in an
> automated fashion and therefore need a master password to our dovecot servers. However, we are
> running with LDAP authentication, and I understand that a master password is not possible in that
> configuration.

Hi!

It is totally possible to use LDAP with master password, using configuration like this:

# this must be first
passdb {
  driver = static
  args = password=masterpass
}

# current passdb config

# you probably already have this
userdb {
  driver = ldap
  args = /path/to/ldap/userdb
}

If this does not work, please send your `doveconf -n` as well.

Aki