Permissions and ownership on /dev/shm/dovecot

doug cincodemayo_67 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 14:56:26 UTC 2022

Hi,

Environment: Dovecot 2.3.18 running on CentOS 7, mdbox, LDAP users

I'm in the process of moving my mailboxes to NFS and moving with lock
and index files in temp storage following instructions from
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/nfs.

I set mail_location as:

    mail_location =
    mdbox:/mailstore/%u/mail:VOLATILEDIR=/dev/shm/dovecot/%u:LISTINDEX=/dev/shm/dovecot/%u/dovecot.list.index

What I discovered is /dev/shm/dovecot is created by the initial user who
accesses their mail from a client, and with permissions 700.  This
prevents subsequent users from creating their own index and lock files.

    # ls -l /dev/shm/dovecot
    total 0
    drwx------ 2 mary users 60 Mar 25 10:00 mary

Sample error message from maillog during mail delivery and from a dsync
script.

    Mar 25 10:37:15 mailsrv1 dovecot: imap(doug)<19284><WKcX5gvbRe7AqFhA>: Error: mkdir(/dev/shm/dovecot/doug) failed: Permission denied (euid=1002(doug) egid=100(users) missing +x perm: /dev/shm/dovecot, dir owned by 97:100 mode=0700)

    dsync(test): Error: mkdir(/dev/shm/dovecot/test) failed: Permission denied (euid=2003(test) egid=100(users) missing +x perm: /dev/shm/dovecot, dir owned by 97:100 mode=0700)

I couldn't locate documentation or discussions on how to set the
ownership or permissions for /dev/shm/dovecot in the Dovecot
configuration files.

As a hack, I added this to /usr/libexec/dovecot/prestartscript.

    ! [[ -d  /dev/shm/dovecot ]] && mkdir /dev/shm/dovecot
    chown dovecot:users /dev/shm/dovecot
    chmod 770 /dev/shm/dovecot

This solved the problem, but left me wondering if I missed something
obvious or if I am setting myself up for a problem later on, like with a
Dovecot version upgrade. I could run these commands at bootup out of
rc.local or a systemd script rather than customizing a Dovecot provided
script.

Is there a appropriate way of doing this that I missed?

TIA,
Doug