Pigeonhole redirect is adding a message-id header when it already exists

Sébastien Riccio sriccio at swisscenter.com
Sat Oct 1 07:29:49 UTC 2022

Hello,

We are using sieve filter to redirect incoming mails to an external mailbox (gmail) an we are seeing some forwarded e-mails being rejected by gmail because of duplicate headers.

I think was able to identify the probable cause of the duplicate headers:
It seems that when the original message's "Message-ID" is not compliant, pigeonhole acts like if the header is not existing and adds it's own Message-ID.

This result in having two "Message-ID" headers being submitted to the destination mail server.

Original Message-ID:

Pigeon hole adds his own Message-ID:

Gmail answer:
  550-5.7.1 [94.103.100.17]  Our system has detected that this message is not RFC
  550-5.7.1 5322 compliant: duplicate headers. To reduce the amount of spam sent
  550-5.7.1 to Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please review
  550 5.7.1  RFC 5322 specifications for more information.

While I understand the original "Message-ID" seems to be all but compliant with RFCs, shouldn't a "Message-ID" be added only when "Message-ID" is really missing ?
When redirecting a message, If the original "Message-ID" exists but is bogus shouldn't it still be forwarded untouched ?

Also, maybe if pigeonhole is adding it's own "Message-ID", shouldn't it remove any previous "Message-ID" to avoid generating duplicate headers ? (but maybe it could break some DKIM stuff?)

Any ideas how to workaround this issue ?

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Sébastien RICCIO
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
P  +41 840 888 888