Dovecot mail-crypt webmail can't read encrypted messages

hi at zakaria.website hi at zakaria.website
Mon Oct 10 11:00:12 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-10 08:03, Serveria Support wrote:
> Hi, thanks, this sounds like a great idea! Will try this and let you
> guys know...
>
> On 2022-10-10 10:52, George Asenov wrote:
>> Dovecot is opensource so you can download source edit the log format
>> removing the passwords and compile it.
>>
>> On 09-Oct-22 8:47 PM, Serveria Support wrote:
>>> Like I've already mentioned in my reply to Aki, I generally agree,
>>> but many of these methods require much time and expertise some bad
>>> guys don't have. You can also bruteforce the passwords but it can
>>> take years. With passwords showing in logs all they need to do is
>>> make a few clicks and enable auth logging. In most cases the attacker
>>> is really short on time and needs to act fast, before he is detected
>>> and locked out of the system.

Hey, I thought to recommend encrypting log file by your own.

Create service with executing bash script every second perhaps using
while loop to encrypt dovecot logs file, add separater at end of log, so
in following encryption cycles you can know whats being inserted new and
needs encryption by decrypting the old and encrypting the decrypted old
and new together.

Also, make sure to perform encryption in separate copy of logs temp file
so to allow dovecot to pipe out logs without messing up the order of
lines, and lastly, you probably want to disallow administrator account
from accessing dovecot conf file perhaps by changing its permission and
ownership, so they cant change logging path.

There you go, passwords are encrypted in log file and no one can read.

Zakaria.