Dovecot mail-crypt webmail can't read encrypted messages

John Tulp johntulp at tulpex.com
Tue Oct 11 16:04:01 UTC 2022

What i'm saying is...

if the attackers goal is only to get passwords, you will not be dealing
with a bigger problem.  In that hypothetical there would not be a bigger
problem or any other problem.

the only problem is passwords leaking in that case.

The attacker goes out of their way to not cause any other problems on
the server.

they do this to avoid getting noticed by admins.

as long as admin does not know there is malware on their server, the
malware could run for years harvesting passwords.  That would be the
hypothetical attackers only goal on that server - not to bother
anything, just to harvest user email passwords.

and the admin will not be dealing with a "bigger problem", because the
admin will not know they've been hacked, because hacker does not cause
any problems on the server.  admin will think everything is fine on
their server.

there could be email servers right now that are compromised and yielding
passwords in this way, and if dovecot suddenly started writing those
passwords the logs in some scrambled way - the malware would suddenly
stop being able to harvest clear text passwords.  hacker then could
either quietly go away, or start doing something else on the machine,
which the admins may or may not become aware of.  might get a big
surprise that they've been hacked.

This type of "quiet" malware of course definitely exists in the real
world, for example, on phones.  Many people's phones have been hacked
and they are unaware of it, and they continue using the phone for years
without realizing it's been hacked.

Sometimes attackers mess up the devices they hack, sometimes they don't,
they just quietly use the hacked device for their own purposes (which of
course are the hacks to really worry about).  whenever there are big
announcements of hacks to major organizations, the story always unfolds
that the hackers had access for quite a while before admins became
aware.  this is the timeframe that really puts one's "security efforts"
to the test - after machine is compromised, but before admins are aware.

it makes no sense to make things easy for hackers during this time when
they are operating in the target machines/network and the admins are not
yet aware that devices have been compromised.

in mitigating such risk, why not go for the "low hanging fruit" by
simply not storing passwords on disk in clear text ?  unless there is
some reason why clear text passwords actually have to be written to
disk.

--
John Tulp <johntulp at tulpex.com>
tulpex